Monday, April 29, 2013

Snail Mail

A sad, sad thing has happened.  My favorite place to buy scrapbooking supplies, and one of my favorite places to hang out on the internet, cropchocolate.com, is closing their online business at the end of May.  I just found out yesterday.  I feel like a piece of me is being left behind as well.  I have been a part of the CC community since the company began in 2009 and have made many friends on the site.  We're brainstorming ways to keep the friendships going. When their online business ends, so does my design team assignment.  I spent Saturday working on my next assignment for them.  It's no longer needed.  So it goes.  With that in mind, I'm hoping to get on a new team or two, to fill the gap, and mend this slightly broken scrappy heart of mine.  I've put out some feelers, and I'm hoping for results.  One of the possibilities that I'm very excited about is with a Challenge blog!  I love challenges!  Everyone at Crop Chocolate can tell you that I've entered every single week of challenges there.  I've never won one (it's why I don't gamble.  The winner is chosen from a hat -- literally), but I've entered every week of their 60 challenges ever offered.  Stuck On Us Sketches Challenges is adding some team members, including members for a new die cut challenge.  YES!  I would SO LOVE to be on that TEAM!  With my Silhouette, my 3 Cricuts, more cartridges than I can admit to, a Bigshot and a Grand Calibur and lots and lots of cutting dies, I'm set!  I rushed home from work today and whipped up this card, just to enter it in the challenge and let the powers that be see my style.  Here it is.  I hope you like it!




The challenge theme this time is crustaceans.  My scientist husband says, "yes, a snail qualifies as a crustacean."  I cleared it with him before I launched into the card.  I used a Lifestyle Crafts cutting die to make the window in the front of the card, and then a smaller one to stamp the snail on.  I mounted the snail on an adhesive spring (CTMH), to make it even more fun for the recipient when they open the envelope. The cardstock is Close To My Heart.  DP is Authentique Fresh 6x6 Collection.  The Snail stamp and sentiment are from the Unity Feb, 2009 Kit of the Month. I colored the snail with Copic markers, then used a little Creative Inspirations paints in Fairy Dust to give it a little lustre.  It shows up better IRL.

I have some blog candy I'm giving away this week in celebration of a very busy week of blogging for me.  I have a tutorial and post on The Crop Tuesday, April 30, and a post here on my blog, a blog hop with my 3 Girl Jam DT sisters on Wednesday celebrating the release of some gorgeous new ribbon colors and a SALE!, a blog post on the 3 Girl Jam challenge blog on Thursday, and a post here on this blog,  another blog hop on Friday with some art journal peeps.  We're the Mixed Media Mix Up, or the Mixed Up Media Girls, or something like that.  It's Friday-Sunday -- tons of fun, and I have a post here on Saturday for All That Stickles using Icicle Stickles.  So, to celebrate all this inspiration, I'm giving away a 6x6 paper pad, some Pincque Peacock stick pins, some twine, Stickles, miscellaneous bling, and some ribbon.  To be eligible to win, follow my blog and comment on this post, then come back each day this week and comment again to increase your chances of winning.  I'll announce the winner early next week when I've recovered from all this scrappy mojo.

I'm entering this card in the following challenges:

Stuck on You Sketches -- die cut crustaceans
Simon Says Stamp -- anything goes
Sister Act Card Challenges -- anything goes
Creative Inspirations Paints -- anything goes
Great Impressions Stamps -- Pastel Colors &/or Polka Dots
D.L. Art -- anything goes

Thanks you so much for visiting my blog! I love your comments.

17 comments:

  1. This is too cute! Love that the snail is on the spring, coming through the window - so clever! :) Thanks for playing along in the "Anything Goes" challenge over at the Simon Says Stamp challenge blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too clever!! Like the popping spring. Sorry to here they are closing shop. I'm sure it's hard since the market seems flooding right now with crafty stuff :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable pop up card! I love your snail. Yes, I too am very sad about CC. I actually tried out for the "next " DT-which was really outside of my comfort zone. Guess it's probably for the best. I wasn't sure I could keep up with the deadlines, with a sick mil and an active grandson who I watch 1-2 days a week.
    My biology major self is now wondering what kind of scientist your dh is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute, Julie!!! Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute I just love that it is on the action wobble
    Thank you for joining us at Creative inspiration paints.
    CI design team member
    DIANA L.
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a darn cute card!!! Good luck Julie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow... These cards are amazing. I love your idea's. They are wonderful. I am going to try to hang with you this week and be even more inspired. In between answering phones and kids that is. :) I follow your blog two ways. HUGS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sad news about Crop Chocolate, but sweet card! Best of luck...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute take on the challenge.....
    Thanks so much for playing along with us at Stuck on U Sketches

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute card!!! Love the "springy" snail!!! Thanks for playing along with us over at SOUS on our Die Cut Challenge!! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute card! I love the cute snail!
    bbiswabic@new.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable snail...sorry to hear about CC :( Thanks for playing with us at Great Impressions Stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry to hear about your favorite store closing. I know I would be devastated if that happened to my local store, even if we DO have a Hobby Lobby in town. I like the card! I never knew a snail was part of the crustacean family. You learn something new every day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. like how you used a wobble on this card with the cut out, nice technique...
    and yes, i love challenges as well, it fun and you feel part of the community as well as it sure help getting motivated and getting something done!!!

    ReplyDelete